Monday, June 29, 2015

My Transplant--Part 2

I was diagnosed in July of 1982 and my doctors told my parents that *if* I lived long enough, I *might* be able to receive this operation that was still in its infancy stages that could repair or even replace my damaged heart and lungs. An operation called a heart lung transplant. It was during that time that I was taken off of oxygen because it wasn't helping me (note: my mom remembers me fighting when they were trying to take the o2 off because in my toddler mind, being on oxygen all the time was normal).  
18-months-old and still on oxygen

By the time I was 3 years old, my health was stable enough when my folks started thinking about giving me a brother or sister and by the end of 1983, Mel was a month old and I was a very protective big sister (note: she was the only one who was full term weighing a whopping 9 lbs, 2 oz).

In 1984, I started the year in Boston but ended it in Temple Terrace. Since the winters were so harsh for me, the folks decided to move us all to Florida, thinking the warmer weather would help slow down the deterioration of my health. It did.



Mel and I posing in front of our new house!
Last week of Kindergarten!

Six months after moving to Florida, we moved to a small town called Lutz (rhymes with "fruits") that's within Tampa's city limits. Because of the timing of our move, I was able to have a fairly normal childhood. I went to school, grew up in a great neighborhood with many kids my age, was active in the Girl Scouts, learned how to beat Super Mario Bros in our Nintendo, made the Honor Roll, tormented Melissa, gained another sister and tormented her, etc.


My 8th birthday party.  If the ceiling fan had been turned on, it would've been pandemonium.
First Communion!
About to march in the Gasparilla Parade!

Also, in elementary school, I was constantly teased and bullied over (among other things) my right thumb and the way it looked. I didn't know it then now I understand what was wrong: I was born with something called Poland's Syndrome. In layman's terms, on the 46th day in the womb, the blood flow was cut off between my mother and me (and, more specifically, to my pectoral muscles) and that is why I was born without a knuckle on my right hand thumb, without a couple of ribs in my right side, born with scoliosis (curved spine, one of the main reasons other transplant facilities didn't want to touch me), and why my chest is uneven (which lead to me being sexually harassed in the 5th grade at Maniscalco).

left hand with two knuckles on my thumb
right hand with one knuckle on my thumb

With all that being said, I'm so grateful to my many school and neighborhood friends for giving me a great childhood and not treating me differently just because I had purple lips and couldn't run that fast. I'll never forget it.




My 8th birthday party.  I'm in the middle wearing the green dress and sweater and I'm still friends with Joe, Carrie, Jennifer and Dominica.

No comments:

Post a Comment