Friday, September 4, 2015

Dear Donor Family....

Published in newspapers across the country on June 11, 1996


Over the years, I've attempted contact with my donor family: twice via a letter and once via a card.  I've never received a response but I've always held onto the hope and belief that I'll hear from them and possibly meet them one day.  For now, here's a made-up letter for them that I'm making public...with words I want to say to them, especially things that I'm not allowed to for legal reasons. 

Dear Donor Family,

Almost 20 years, you went through the most difficult experience any human could go through, the loss of a loved one.  Though I can't lessen the pain nor bring her back, I hope you know what your gift has done for my family and me over the years.

I know I've already tried writing to you twice and, for unknown reasons, there has been no reply back. I just wanted to let you know that I'm grateful for now having pink lips, for the ability to walk around all over town without short of breath (unless it's summertime here in Florida), the chance to work for the state government, that I can be a "mom" to my four-legged, Cairn Terrier Mix dog Missy,  to be actively involved within the transplant community and to make an impact and to change the public's perception regarding organ donation. 

But most of all, I hope you know that there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about your daughter and your family. I pray that, someday, we'll be able to meet face-to-face.

Much Love and Gratitude,

Kimberly Jacques
June 14, 1996
heart/double lung transplant
Transplanted at St. Louis Children's Hospital
Organs were picked up from St. Charles, IL





No comments:

Post a Comment