Saturday, January 8, 2011

It's the little things....



While moping around feeling sorry for myself because I still have this cold, I started to remember a clip from the 2006 U.S. Transplant Games.  It had a lung recipient talking about how pre-transplant she'd have to drag her oxygen with her to get the mail, how long it would take her, etc.  Post-transplant it takes her even LONGER to get the mail because she has to "pet the neighborhood dog, go out and go look at the flowers and walk around the house" and then a little bit later she says, "it's surprising that it's the little things that you get to do." 

That small clip brought a smile to my face and I thought, "You know what?  I really need to cut this out."   15 years ago today, I was purple-lipped, had just been through a crappy Christmas, and was waiting.  Waiting for someone to die so that I could go on living, waiting for my life to start again.  Now?  I don't have to wait!  I can do anything I want!  I can travel, walk outside and feel the sun shine on my face!  It really IS the little things that I get to do!

But first, I need to get over this cold.   :-)   


P.S.  Here is that video clip that got me out of my funk.

2006 U.S. Transplant Games Interviews (she starts at 1:00)

No comments:

Post a Comment